History of Seven Sorrows School

 

 
 
 
 
In August of 1880, 3 Sisters of Saint Francis arrived to teach at the “first Catholic school” in Middletown.  Thirty pupils were enrolled that year.  The current Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary School opened its doors on September 4, 1951 under the name of St. Mary’s Parish School.  The school was located at the corner of Race and Conewago Streets in Middletown, PA.

The initial facility was built to accommodate 500 students and was erected at a cost of  $350,000.  The first faculty consisted of four Dominican Sisters from the Mother House and Sister’s College in Columbus, Ohio, and four secular teachers.  There were 293 students in grades 1-8, and 70 students in kindergarten.  On June 8, 1952, thirteen eighth graders received diplomas in the school’s first graduation ceremony. 

The school’s mission at that time was to provide an education of the highest academic excellence while integrating the church’s spiritual teachings to help students form solid, spiritual values and healthy relationships.  That mission still stands today.
 

Overview of School

• Dedicated to Catholic, Christian Values and Academics
• PA Certified 
• 16 full-time faculty 
• 6 part-time faculty 
• 6 instructional aides
• Middle States Accredited
• Bus Transportation is available 
• Uniforms are worn by Grades K-8 

 
 
Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!